You know when you are driving around Kailua Kona and see a building or a road and you never knew what was in there or down that road? Well, we uncover five of these in this video for you!
- One of these, One Aloha Shave Ice, is a building you drive by ALL the time off of Kuakini Highway and probably have never stopped to taste this DELICIOUS Hawaii treat made with natural flavors. (A little tip for ya-We had macadamia nut vanilla ice cream INSIDE the shave ice. This helps keep it from melting completely on you so you can take your time to enjoy it before it just ends up being juice! The natural flavors you can choose from are MANY and I loved the passion fruit and a friend said the white pineapple is the bomb diggity. The delight you will receive from tasting REAL strawberry, REAL Tahitian Lime..ect..it truly is the tastiest Shave Ice in West Hawaii. The restaurant is HUGE inside and once COVID restrictions lift, they have live music and you can hold large parties there. The address is 75-5711 Kuakini Hwy. It’s the green building up on a little look out.
2. Have you driven down Lunapule Road and noticed that there’s a white building with little shops..you will find TeaLicious Kona there with it’s quaint tea room and delicious pastries. They have a little table out front to meet friends and the specials they offer are delicious, (I had the Marshmallow Chai Tea today and it felt like fall!)
3. Do you enjoy finding a hidden garden? Then you will be happy to discover the Sadie Seymore Botanical Garden with its trellises of blue jade ivy and red and yellow Mysore Trumpet vines. Bonus is the Full Circle Thrift Store. The store is closed on Saturdays right now, but if you are looking for costumes or some thrifty finds, go check it out.
4. Further north of town and south of the airport, have you driven past the Natural Energy Lab (NELHA) and wondered if there was a beach down that long road? There is! In fact, that whole shoreline has a path that you can walk next to the ocean, or get your beach chair and just sit under the tree and look out over the expansive tide pool we feature in the video. Bring a float toy during high surf days and have a fun watching the waves crash safely from the pool!
5. Have you ever wondered about the black lava/white mortar church in downtown? That’s Moku’aikaua Church, the oldest Christian church in Hawaii with its beautiful spire behind wrought iron gates. (There is a story you will discover in the video about our attempts to show you the interior!)
Would you like to learn more about where we visited?
One Aloha Shave Ice: – http://onealohashaveice.com
TeaLicious Kona – https://www.tealiciouskona.com
Moku’aikaua Church – https://mokuaikaua.com
Sadie Seymore Botanical Gardens– https://www.yelp.com/biz/sadie-seymour-botanical-gardens-kailua-kona
Wawaloli Beach– https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g60872-d10163589-Reviews-Wawaloli_Beach_Park-Kailua_Kona_Island_of_Hawaii_Hawaii.html
Julie and Eric Ziemelis are local lifestyle Vloggers/Bloggers on Hawai’i Island and enjoy bringing you interesting things to see and do, provide insight and advice and lend resources to those considering purchasing a home. You can learn more at www.MoveToHawaii365.com
We would love your support! https://www.patreon.com/365Hawaii